Thursday, November 13, 2014

People Watching at Its Finest

People watching is one of my favorite past times. I find it very intriguing watching other people interact with each other without them knowing of my watchful eye (in a non creepy way of course).  From these observations I have found that people are very unique. We all walk, talk, dress, laugh, yell and smile differently. Although we are all very different, I have come acknowledge that this is the beauty of our diverse culture. We should appreciate these differences as they add color to our world and challenge us to accept diversity.

While I was out at the National FFA conference in Louisville Kentucky just two weeks ago, I had the most opportune time to watch people of diverse groups intermingle in one location. Students from every single US state came for this convention. There was space and a challenge presented in the back of every program for students to get a signature from every state student representative. I found this to be a pretty awesome challenge. Throughout the week I saw students running up to one another asking for autographs. They interacted, got signatures, talked about their travels, and then continued on their merry way. These interactions were great and I was amazed to see such young motivated high school students take on this challenge and be vulnerable to engage in open conversation with complete strangers in respectful manners. Call me a little biased but I think that goes to show how FFA positively shapes and impacts these young future leaders. GO FFA!


I had the opportunity to go to National Convention with the school where I will be student teaching at in the spring and also the high school that I graduated from. I wasn't sure how these students from each school were going to interact and get along as there was a combination of 5 girls and 2 boys. I must say that I was pleasantly surprised. The most inspiring highlights from the trip came from the interactions of these students. The first day we stopped multiple times for breakfast, lunch and dinner. At one of these stops one of the girls from my cooperating center forgot her money in the car. Immediately, another student from the opposite school jumped in and said that he would pay for her dinner. I was so taken back by this student's generosity towards a complete stranger.

An interesting moment for me during this trip was on way home when we all reflected on our trip. I asked the students to share what their favorite thing from the week was. As they went around and shared their thoughts and feelings, I was surprised to hear that almost everyone's favorite part of the week was spending time with each other and getting to know students from the opposite school. I was expecting them to say that they loved the cave hiking, or our visit to Churchill downs, or even all the free things they got at the convention. Rather they valued their time with each other. I saw this positive bonding occurring throughout the week and I was thrilled to see a positive experience for all students as a result. 

With all these great observations, I also unfortunately noticed interactions that were not so positive. I heard comments such "well they are from New Jersey (or another state) so it doesn't surprise me." I also over heard an unfriendly conversation about people in West Virginia. While I was waiting in line to receive my American Degree, there were a few boys behind me that we talking very negatively about people in West Virginia and how they live "trashy" lives. This was disappointing to me to hear this conversation coming from two people receiving the highest degree one can get as an FFA member. I had expected individuals such as these to live up to a higher standard rather than degrade others. Although comments such as these were disappointing to hear, I can honestly report that I heard far more positive comments than I heard negative. It was those positive comments and behaviors that make me proud to be part of the FFA organization.

Overall, I had great experience at National Convention this year. It was such an interesting experience going as the role of an advisor rather than as a student. I felt that I really realized a greater purpose for myself. Rather than rushing around to grab as much free candy as I could for myself, I took my students to as many college booths as I could in order to get them information about college. I hoped that these students would make connections that would build their professional network. My purpose at convention was for them and exposing them to as many opportunities as possible, rather than for myself. This was natural desire for me to want my kids to be successful on this trip. I realized this when I returned home and it reinforced the reasons why I aspire to be an Ag teacher. I was very pleased with my experience this year and I got to connect with students that I will be teaching next semester. It got me really excited for student teaching. Who knows, I might be able to return to convention next year as an FFA advisor with my own students!  

No comments:

Post a Comment