Monday, November 10, 2014

Bringing Inquiry Based Instruction into the Classroom. TRY IT!

Photo By Daniel Foster :)

Today I had the opportunity to bring inquiry to the classroom and test it out! How did it go you may ask? Well to be quite honest, it didn't go as bad as I had expected. Planning was probably one of the hardest parts. I constantly asked myself: am I actually planning an inquiry lesson? And how much of the inquiry is student directed? This was a huge challenge for me and even after doing my lab, I find this method of teaching a bit difficult but completely worth it. Although challenging to prepare for, I realized through this process just how effective this strategy is for students in the classroom.

IBI encourages students to think at the higher levels Bloom's Taxonomy. I requires them to pull all their knowledge together and the information they don't know, they formulate questions. We often hear about teachers trying to avoid questions from students because it interrupts class time or it is disruptive; however, developing questions is the drive behind inquiry. This was a realization to me during my lab. Although I have been told this numerous times and have read different articles about inquiry, it was difficult for me to truly see it played out until I was the one articulating the lesson.

This realization came to me by playing the teacher role. While students were working in groups, what did I do? Well quite frankly, nothing as far as teaching goes! I observed my students and walked between the two groups but I wasn't teaching any content. I listened to the students and I heard them asking all sorts of questions. There were some frustrations, confusions, and others who just went with it. I wanted to just jump in and clarify all those confusions but I quickly realized the importance of inquiry based off their responses. They needed that bit of time for confusion in order to formulate questions about content they did not know yet. It was hard for me to stay quite, and not just because I am a talkative person, but because I wanted to give my students the answers right away. During this time I realized that it's not all about me talking and transferring the information. Rather student directed learning can be much more beneficial and challenges students' cognitive thinking skills.

I will admit that I am by no means a pro at conducting IBI in the classroom. However, everyone has to start somewhere and I am glad to have had this first experience in front of my cohort and advisor who could give me constructive feedback that will only help me improve next time. This was probably the toughest of the labs so far, but just getting up and testing it out has helped me to be more confident with IBI. I also truly believe that IBI is such a powerful learning tool for students, and if I truly believe this then I feel the need to develop the skills to carry out IBI in myself in order to develop the necessary skills in my students. Therefore, going forth from this I hope to put IBI into practice. IBI can be difficult for teachers but we will never improve ourselves if we don't keep practicing. So my message to other educators: keep trying it! Build and broaden your own teaching skills and expose your students to diverse learning environments that promote this higher order of thinking that will enable their own success.

8 comments:

  1. Excellent Observations Jasmine (hey! I want photo credit)

    Keep in mind those 5 essential elements and how we move across the spectrum from Teacher Centered to Student Centered

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jazzy, This was really great!! It was even motivating for me to continue working on my IBI instruction. I am interested in knowing what you would do differently for your lesson if you try it again during your student teaching internship. I'm excited to hear about future attempts to incorporate this style in your teaching!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Jasmine! Great reflection! You really seem to have a hold on inquiry based instruction. I wasn't part of your lab group but am curious as to what topic you chose for this lab. If you consider the feedback and suggestions of your peers, I think you'll do an even better job teaching the inquiry method next time around! Keep up the awesome work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jazzy,

    Great lab idea. It was very engaging and really made you think. Kind of messy at times but it really made us think back on prior knowledge and really think about what was going on. Keep working on it. Practice, practice, practice!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jazzy,

    It sounds like you lab went very well! I to had a hard time not jumping in and answering the questions for my students, or giving them to many materials to quickly as well. Its great that you can see how beneficial IBI is and are excited to improve these skills in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great reflection Jazz! It sounds like this lab went well! I know I had a blast doing a different version of this lab. I definitely agree that planning this lab was really challenging, especially when it came to making sure it was inquiry! I agree that IBI can be very beneficial in the classroom and getting to practice in front of our peers was a great way to learn! Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Het Jazz! I am pleased to read that you are doing such a great job truly reflecting and analyzing to make sure that you are teaching the way we were asked to. It is clear that you put a lot of work and thought into your lab. You certainly taught me a few things! You are doing fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jasmine! Your lab was wonderful... Definitely IBI. You did a great job facilitating the lab, fielding questions and guiding us in the right direction, without giving away the answer. I think that your lab was fun and engaging, and I certainly believe that your students will learn a ton from it! I am glad to see you are reflecting so deeply in your blog posts! Keep up the good work :)

    ReplyDelete