Monday, November 24, 2014

It's Knowledge for Life!

Today I went to my cooperating school to teach my life knowledge lesson. The life knowledge lesson I chose focused on defining career success. The class consisted of 14 girls who had just started learning about Parli Pro. Although a life knowledge lesson that focused on leadership and career success, I thought there were many aspects of Parli Pro that I could incorporate into this lesson as well. For this reason I choose teach about what it means to be successful in a career.

I must say, I was a bit worried about the lesson today. It was a daunting day, as my cooperating teacher informed me that two students passed away over the weekend. This worried me because I tend to be a very outgoing person and teacher, and in situations such as this the last thing students want is a hyperactive and intense lesson. I did some last minute refining in hopes that I was not too over bearing for students. It seemed to go over quite well. The students were engaged and I received positive feedback from them.

I could tell that a few students seemed down, whether just being a Monday or upset about the death of a fellow peer, I couldn't tell but I didn't push them too hard. Although a very challenging situation for any school to go through, it was a good challenge for me as beginning teacher. There are times that your lesson needs to be changed at the last minute in order to adjust it to the needs of your students. I found that it's not an easy task. I rehearsed and went through the steps of my lesson multiple times to make sure that I didn't forget any important content prior to class. I was difficult for me to stray away from what I had planned out in detail; however, it was absolutely necessary to make this change considering the situation the school and students were facing.

Overall, this was a great experience for me as I was engaged in the classroom that I will be student teaching in all next semester. I got to meet more students that I will be teaching, and I saw some that went to National Convention who were excited to see me again. It was refreshing to be welcomed into this atmosphere and it made me more excited about student teaching!  

3 comments:

  1. Wow Jaz, that sure is a tough situation! It sounds like you handled everything well and your lesson worked out! I had to change and adapt my lesson as well but not the extent of your situation. I am sure you brightened the mood for some of your students and I know they're looking forward to a great spring semester with you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so sad to hear about two students passing away. I'm sure that was a rough situation to walk into. However, I agree that experiencing this will help you develop as a teacher. I am glad that your modifications to your lessons worked out for the better. I think that as a teacher, this flexibility is extremely important!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jazz - I am glad you pushed through and perhaps it was nice for you to be there to kinda distract the students from the loss of their peers. You certainly have grown from this experience and learned fast the importance of being able to adapt. Keep up the good work - even in trying situations!

    ReplyDelete