Friday, January 23, 2015

Diving Into Student Teaching Creates Quite the Splash (STB#2)

Today marked a new day on this road towards my goals of becoming an agricultural educator. What made this day so special you may ask? Well, it was my first day teaching my agricultural sciences classes at my cooperating center in Chester County. Between school cancellations, early dismissals, 2 hour delays and me catching the flu, it felt like Christmas was going to come around again till I would finally be able to teach my first class. However, the day finally came and it happened to be today. As excited and fully prepared as  I was for this first day, I'm not so sure my students were as happy to see me. 

I created folders with printed out name tags. I created a introduction activity using postcards from Experimental Tools. I also planned a creative Go-Get-It E-moment activity that introduced the students to the units that we will be covering this semester. I really put a lot of time and thought into this lesson. So why was I left feeling disappointed at the end of class? 


            Can you guess what animal these by-products are from? My students can!

The students' initial reaction when they walked into class was "oh no, assigned seats!" They no longer could pile four at one table and sit with their friends. I also heard the worst complaining about the name tags. I heard one student say, "name tags, really? What are we in first grade? I don't get the point of this." To make matters worse students started asking Mr. Graydus to come back after I told them that I don't allow open notes during tests. At this point I was getting really discouraged. I could not believe that students were being so disrespectful. It was hurtful and it made me frustrated; however, I didn't let that get the best of me while in front of the students.

As the class period continued, the dynamic began to change as well. I explained the reasoning for the name tags and assigned seats and students began to realize where I was coming from. They enjoyed learning about animal by-products and they even filled out the tickets out for the day. This gave me a little boost of confidence that learning was occurring; however, I still felt discouraged that I was already unliked. I asked Mr. Graydus about the class afterwards and to my surprise the first thing he said was "I thought you did an excellent job with this class. It was great!" I thought for sure he was just trying to make me feel better, but he actually did like the lesson and thought it went well. It was at that point that I realized that I was being way too hard on myself. After school I talked to Ms. D (the other Ag science teacher in the program) and she told the same thing. She told me that these students don't handle change very well. No matter what the situation, the students are going to complain when something is different occurs in the classroom that seems like it changes their world. Change isn't bad for them and they will soon realize that it really isn't that bad. These students had Mr. Graydus all last semester for the same class, and now they have me as their teacher for this semester. I know that my teaching approach is much different from Mr. Graydus' and it made perfect sense why they didn't respond well to my structured class. It was different!

I remember going back to our discussion this past semester in AEE 295 and 412 about conditioning. It takes time to condition students to different classroom patterns. It's not something that will always happen on the first day, as I had expected. I was waiting so long for this day and prepared so much for it that I was left disappointed. Now reflecting back  I can see why the first day can sometimes be the hardest, but it took me to actually teach it to realize it. 

Ms. D. was a huge uplift for me for the day. She encouraged me that the semester will get better and that the students are just trying to figure me out and essentially avoid the change by complaining about it. She shared how the same thing happened to her when she student taught and during her first year teaching. She reminded that the important thing to remember is not to take it personally. This conversation with her was helpful for me to understand the dynamics of the school and classrooms. I made that dive into the big pool of student teaching this week and although there were a few splashes along the way, I can say with confidence that I am ready dive in again next week!

1 comment:

  1. Well "Jazzy', you had one of the great experiences of student teaching. the first day sets the tone for the year / semester. AND do not take yourself too seriously. Students will be students and will question what you do, especially if it is different than what Mr. Graydus does. Just take your time and explain why and then be persistent.

    I must admit that since I had just responded to an e-mail from an aquaculture teacher, when I read your title, I thought perhaps the students had dumped you in the large fish tank. Glad that did not happen!

    hang in there, the students will come around. Do not be afraid to talk with both Mr. G and Ms. D. You will get two different perspectives and that is always helpful. Have a great week! Hopefully see you and Ms. D on Wednesday - no snow this week, please.

    ReplyDelete