Saturday, January 31, 2015

Allowing Challenges to Change You (STB#3)

"If it doesn't CHALLENGE you, then it won't CHANGE you."

This is one of my favorite inspirational sayings. I used this quote as a confidence booster for this past week of teaching as well as for my students. I reflected back on the first week and realized that there were a few bumps that needed straightened out. This past week I made a few tweaks and changes and it ended up being a great week! Through all the personal learning that I have encountered in these first 2-3 weeks, I keep coming back to this favorite saying of mine. Some of the challenges I have had, I perceive as a negative experience. I often then put to much pressure on myself; however, my perception of these challenges changed this week into a positive outlook.

If I were to begin student teaching with no adjustments and no problems then I should be concerned. Of course there are going to be challenges at the start and that's OK because that is how we learn. It's how we change in becoming better teachers. That student in my animal science class that gave me a great deal of attitude on the first day, well I made some adjustments in how I respond to him and interact with him and this week he was golden! This CHALLENGE CHANGED me as a teacher because I recognized that there are different needs of my students and the way I react to these diverse personalities effect the dynamics of the classroom. For me it is about taking those challenges and learning from them rather than just getting down about them. Every person has a beginning in something and it's vital that we choose a growth mindset as we pursue each journey.

It's funny how we can learn from our own lessons. In my animal science course this week we were learning about the different swine breeds. I had what at first looked like a huge packet of information that they needed to fill out, but in reality they were going to work in groups to fill out only information for two breeds. Anyway, I had expected the students to at first complain about having to fill out all that information before I got a chance to explain what the assignment was. So I prepared for this by writing my favorite saying on the board and hoping that it would serve as a life lesson for challenges that we encounter in life. However, I was shocked when I heard absolutely no complaining at the beginning and at the end of the period every single student filled out all of the information. I was also a bit more energized that day and I think that my reaction and attitude encouraged them to fulfill the assignment. At the end of the lesson I realized that I didn't have to give a mini life lesson to my students and that perhaps that was a quote for me rather than my students. I left the quote up on the board as a reminder not only for my students to reflect on but also for myself as a beginning teacher to remind me that challenges can be positive! 

With that being said, this week went much better! I did a lot of work to prepare for my classes and yes it was exhausting; however, my students were engaged and it took care of some behavioral issues as well. The hard work and sweat was worth it! Although the work in preparing for classes can be tiring, I actually feel more energized for class because I know that I put a lot of time into preparing for an engaging lesson. If I am excited about a lesson then my students are also more excited about it. A former student teacher once told me, "invest in your students and they will invest in you." I have found that that could not be more true. Not only in preparing for engaging lessons, but also just getting to know students and discovering their likes and dislikes. It was one of my students' birthday on Friday and I didn't have that class on Friday but I happened to see him in the hallway and gave him a birthday Hi Five. He looked at me and said, "you remembered my birthday! I feel special!" I have realized that it's those connections that build respect and rapport between you and your students. A sense of community is being built inside the classroom and my students are starting to open and up and have fun with the lessons! As a result the teacher is enjoying her responsibility as well :)

2 comments:

  1. Good blog Jasmine. YES, we need to invest in our students. When I talk with former students they always stress that one of the things that mattered most to them was that I cared about them as individuals. So remembering a students birthday IS a big deal, and other students heard about that. It is one way to 'but' into your students - and they will recognize and respond to this. Good job. Looking forward to seeing you this week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the Blog Jazz.

    Would love to see some pictures!! :)

    ReplyDelete