Sunday, September 14, 2014

Engaging Instruction (WW#3)



There were a lot of reading materials for this week; however, I think I could sit here for years reading about how to create an engaging classroom. There is much information to consider and for some reason this topic continuously grabs my attention. I love thinking about how I can create an atmosphere that gets students excited about learning. Students often have negative feelings towards school that automatically holds a dark cloud over the thought of school. Why is that? I aspire to have a class that students can’t wait to come to. I want to see kids show up early to my classes! I know that many teachers reading this may be thinking “good luck that will never happen.” Once again I ask “why is that?” Why not challenge ourselves to achieve the unimaginable. I believe this can be accomplished by being an enthusiastic teacher in an engaging classroom. However, this is our responsibility as teachers to develop this atmosphere and so we must put forth the effort if we desire to witness this positive outcome. In understanding that I am accountable for this type of learning success, I often challenge myself to “step up the game” in order to ensure student success.

Each of the readings this week provided insight on a variety of ideas and thoughts on this topic of developing engaging instruction. Therefore, I pulled out pieces that I felt stuck out to me most.

Article 1: "Motivating Students by Cultivating Self-Worth" by Jonathan Velez

In agricultural education, we have the unique privilege of being able to work with students in a multitude of environments. This affords us the opportunity to have a greater impact on self-worth than arguably any other teacher in the school. With this privilege, comes responsibility. We have the opportunity to impact students, changing the way they view themselves, and the responsibility to build student self-worth, with the goal of lifelong motivation.”

First of all, I absolutely loved this article. It was very motivational and encouraging for me as a future educator. This excerpt from the article was so empowering for me because it’s these words that constantly remind me why I want to become an Ag teacher. We have a variety of environments to work worth and therefore we can utilize these environments to instill self-worth. Students will be more motivated in classes where they feel secure and confident that they will succeed. Wow, what a responsibility we have a teachers! Although a big responsibility, if we strive to achieve this kind of success in our students then I believe we are teaching more than just content. We are shaping students into successful and competent individuals. How many other occupations can say that? This motivates me to build my own skills so that I can be the best for my students.

   

Article 2: "Actively Teaching: Strategies for Use in the Agriculture Classroom" by Paula Faulker, and Connie D. Baggett   

According to Mankin et al. (2001), "Students in agriculture, Kansas State University, were asked to identify specific teaching styles, classroom environments, grading methods, and assignment types that motivated them to learn." Mankin et al. found "the most motivating characteristics in each category were an enthusiastic and interesting teaching style, an interactive classroom environment, fair grading methods, and assignment types that provided experience relevant to the profession. The most cited factor reducing motivation was a long, boring lecture."

I immediately thought about the top 5 characteristics of an effective teacher that we talked about in class. Enthusiasm and variability we two of the top five and it appears that they also align with this study which focuses on motivation. I believe an effective teacher encourages motivation among students. How do they do that? I would think that being enthusiastic and incorporating a variety of interesting teaching styles would probably be a good start!  I think an engaging classroom also gets students more interested in class. This article also provides many examples of techniques that have been used that are successful. I enjoy hearing from teachers that have tried these techniques and are able to tell us what works and what doesn’t work. As a pre-teacher this is very helpful information.

 

Article 3: “Anticipatory Set/”Hook”Research Base” by Madelyn Hunter

 By having an activity related to what will be learned, it shifts their attention to

the learning process. Anticipatory set can also establish a readiness or anticipation for

what is to follow. For the “hook” to do so, it must pique students’ interest.”

 

After reading this I immediately reflected on my summer reading “Teach Like a Pirate” by Dave Burgess. This whole article was almost like a summary of the book. “Hooks” might at first sound like small tasks that consume time; however, from all my readings I have found that they are a vital aspect to getting your students focused on the lesson. Hooks essentially catch your students attention and reel them in for the lesson. My favorite part is that there are so many hooks that you can really spice class up every day. It never has to be the same, which adds variability to your teaching and keeps students excited about your class because of their curiosity and motivation. In this way your students become more engaged in your lesson right from the gecko!

This week in class we also talked about the different types of learners in our classes. Each student is a different type of learner and I think “hooks” are a great way to engage all types of learners in our lessons. They can really be directed towards any of the eight intelligences: Linguistic, spatial, logical-mathematical, bodily-kinesthetic, intrapersonal, naturalist and interpersonal. These eight should be considered when designing our lesson plans, but I think they are also important to consider in our interest approach. In this way we gain the attention of our diverse learners from the start and prepare them to be more engaged in the rest of the lesson.   

 Many teachers may have this fear of not being creative enough to incorporate these activities or interests approaches into their lessons. I am no expert by any means but I would strongly suggest reading "Teach Like a Pirate" by Dave Burgess. He has some awesome suggestions for "hooks" and other engaging materials. Also, below is a link to a website with different interest approach ideas specifically related to Agriculture. Some of them seem more geared toward elementary students; however, many could be utilized for short activities that help students start thinking about the lesson for the day.  Click the link below: http://www.agintheclassroom.org/teacherresources/interest_approaches.shtml  


CHECK IT OUT!

 "What the new world wants is not job seekers but job creators" ~ Paul Collard

Paul Collard is an expert speaker on "The use of creativity and culture to drive social and economic change, and to boost organisational performance." Although he shares reports based on education in England, he has a lot of resourceful information to share about creativity in the classroom.

One example of what their program did in school was have students who were disengaged in class design their own classroom. He states "It's not about having good ideas, it's having the skills to make good ideas happen.... they (the students) came out believing that they can make a difference to their own lives."

 Watch the video to see what kind of classroom the students built!



No comments:

Post a Comment