Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Grow, Lead, Succeed with SAE Visits!



Meet our FFA Chapter President!



I had to opportunity to conduct my last SAE visit with one of my students, Rachel Stoltzfus, in my FFA class. Rachel is also our chapter president and has been doing exceptional work this semester. I first met Rachel when we traveled to the National FFA Convention in the Fall of 2014. At that point I felt that Rachel was a quiet and shy student who I wasn't sure if I was would connect with. However, as I dived into student teaching I realized just how exceptional of a student Rachel is. Rachel shows beef cattle, sheep and pigs. She is heavily involved in 4-H and FFA and has performed exceptionally well on the livestock judging and interview CDE. I have gotten to know Rachel really well as one of my students and because of her role on the officer team. I have seen Rachel grow over the last few months as she has taken on leadership responsibilities and has helped to lead her FFA chapter in a positive direction. I could not be more proud of Rachel and all that she has accomplished this year.

For this SAE visit my cooperating teacher and I traveled to Coatsville, Pa to observe all the hard work that Rachel does on her family farm. Rachel and her family live on a 300 acre beef cattle farm. She feeds, waters and cares for the health of her animals everyday. Rachel has a well developed placement SAE program involving the care of these animal. Rachel keeps her record books updated on AET where she journals about her daily tasks and records her financial investments on her project. Rachel has been proficient in maintaining excellent records. In fact Rachel won first place at the county level record book contest this year.
Rachel's new sheep Cassidy!

During this SAE visit I had the opportunity to meet the animals that Rachel cares for everyday. One new addition to Stoltzfus farm is her sheep, Cassidy. Rachel described how she is expanding her SAE project to more than just showing beef cattle. Rachel will be working hard this summer by showing not only her beef cattle but also her new sheep. Rachel joined her local 4-H sheep club where she will be learning how to properly show a sheep. This is a great opportunity for her to expand her knowledge in multiple areas of animal agriculture. I am pleased with Rachel's progress and her determination to reach her goals.

In evaluating Rachel's SAE project, I utilized a rubric that I felt most effective in grading this type of project. I evaluated the organization and completion of Rachel's record book both on AET and her printed out copy. I also based her grade on her enthusiasm towards the project and her effort in working towards her goals. Through the visit I was also able to observe if the project was active and involving. I provided a grade to the student based off of these observations. I felt Rachel did an outstanding job in all of these areas.

As a student teacher I really enjoy participating in SAE visits. It gives me the chance to meet my student's family members and explore the exciting opportunities they have created for themselves through their SAE project. I often find that connecting with students in this way also allows for more involvement in my classroom. I have found that students are willing to put more time into you because you put the time into them. These are the exceptional results that are brought about from conducting an SAE visit with FFA members.



 

1 comment:

  1. God blog jazzy. One of the most important things about an SAE visit is that you can then use this info in classes and it helps keep you up-to-date on what is happening in the industry.

    ReplyDelete