Sunday, February 22, 2015

The Hard Work Comes First! (STB#6)

This past week was the week before National FFA week and that means lots of planning! We have been having a rough start getting students involved in FFA and having the motivation to participate in events outside of school. However, with National FFA week just around the bend it gives us the perfect opportunity to ignite that spark for FFA during school.

I have been working closely with the chapter officers to plan and prepare for a week of events. Although I have been working hard to organize meetings with them and spark interest in planning, it's the students that have brought creativity to the forefront. The most rewarding part is seeing them engaged and recognizing that they will be proud of what they have accomplished. The schedule for the upcoming week of events is as follows:

Monday -
Apparel: Pink Day (breast cancer awareness)
Activity: FFA and Ag Trivia Competition

Tuesday-
Apparel: Plaid/ Flannel day Day
Activity: Meet your state officers at Hoss's

Wednesday-
Apparel: Chevy vs. Ford Day
Activity: Handball Competition in the Gym: Chevy vs Ford

Thursday-
Apparel: Camo Day
Activity: Truck Show! (teachers and students judge FFA members vehicles)
                Brunch: Those who participate are welcome to join us in our FFA brunch
Friday-
Apparel: FFA Apparel Day
Activity: Freshman Friday! Ice cream social for the freshman

I am so very excited to see how this week turns out. I am hoping that this week makes FFA members more appreciative and proud to be part of their FFA chapter!

                                           Collecting our supplies for National FFA Week!

As far as teaching  this week I only had 1 and 1/2 days. It was not a full week but probably one of my most stressful weeks. I had applications to fill out and submit, a school tour to prepare for, letters to write and paperwork to complete. It was more than exciting because I am preparing for a potential job; however, it was a reality for me in realizing all the additional work that still needs to be managed while teaching. It's a lot of work but the results yielded make it worth it.

This week was a good learning experience for both me and my students. I think together we are learning that how much you put into something is how much you will get out of it. Yes, the hard and stressful work comes first but seeing the lives that are positively affected by your work influences you to continue doing what you're doing. Along the way we build our own professional and organizational skills. This week has been busy but I am excited to see that hard work pay off next week!

2 comments:

  1. Jasmine, It was great seeing you on Friday and I hope you have a wonderful National FFA Week.

    I do challenge you to think of what learning/leadership outcomes you could tie each of your National FFA Week Activities into :) Always work to think think Intracurricularly :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting plans for FFA Week. Hopefully the students buy in and participate. This will be a real boost for Octorara. Enjoy the week! In your next blog let me know how things turn out and what you would do differently for next year.

    I hope classes are going well.

    ReplyDelete